Thursday 30 October 2014

TIME OUT Guest Designer - Birds of a Feather


I bought this stencil a while back on a whim because - well - it had birds. I've been waiting for the right occasion to break it out and this TIME OUT challenge seemed to fit the bill. The theme is:

"Birds of a Feather Flock Together"

TIME OUT is such a great challenge - I really like that each challenge lasts a fortnight. We know how busy life can get, and two weeks gives enough time to play along. Check out TIME OUT here:

Grab Our Badge!

For the first card, I inked the birds through the stencil using some bright colours of Distress Inks. I then die cut the curve using the Pretty Pink Posh die. I felt that the background looked too stark so I used the stencil to trace the birds onto some Post-It tape and fussy cut them to make some bird masks. I then masked the birds and stamped the French Text background stamp onto the background. I gave the birds a little shimmer with some Wink of Stella and then mounted the panel on a Slate card. It was finished off with a white heat embossed Hero Arts sentiment. As a side note, I think this is my most used sentiment stamp - it is so generic that the card can be used for so many different occasions - perfect for cards that I like to keep on hand in case something comes up and I don't have time to make a card specifically for it.




For the second card, I broke out my new metallic Distress Stains and I created the background panel using them and a large flat brush. You can't see it in the photo but it is super shimmery in real life. I then used some embossing paste through the stencil to create the birds - when the paste was still wet, I applied some Rock Candy Glitter to the birds. I used the same die as the first card but I cut the panel at an angle. I did the same thing with a layer of vellum, and I mounted them on a card base made from DCWV Shimmer paper. I finished off by white heat embossing the greeting. This card is so shimmery that when you rotate it in the light, the birds disappear - it is quite cool but unfortunately, it can't be captured with the camera (or at least not by this photographer!).



Supplies:
Stencil: Dina Wakley - Birds In Flight
Stamps: Impression Obsession - French Text; Hero Arts - Good Friends ; Clearly Besotted - Say It In Style
Die: Pretty Pink Posh

I will link this card to the Simon Says Stamp Anything Goes Challenge.

Thanks so much for stopping by!
Jill




5 comments:

  1. Both of these cards are stunning. The first your masking is perfect and I love the changing colours. And I agree on the sentiment, great for many uses. Your second card, the base is amazing. I haven't seen that before but I love it and you have photographed it so we can see the glimmer. You could also enter this into Addicted to CAS where the challenge is Vellum. We have loved having you a GD and hope to see you again at TIME OUT x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, Jill, both of them ... love the movement you've created with the changing colours on the first ... and the drama of the white against the shimmery background on the second! Brilliant inspiration as our GD at Time Out! Anita :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fabulous cards, Jill! Love the colours on your first card and the drama from the stains background on your second - I must get mine out to have a play! I love that HA sentiment too - it is a lovely font and suits lots of occasions. So glad that you could be our GD for this challenge :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeously stunning cards! I just adore your first one with the bright pop of color. I thought it was so graphically cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. such pretty cards! thank you for playing along with us at simon says stamp wednesday challenge!

    ReplyDelete